Reader: How do I wear a statement necklace correctly? And where can I find some statement necklaces that won’t break the bank?
Great question! I like to think of statement necklaces as if they were sprinkles on cake or ice cream. It isn’t always necessary, but sometimes it is exactly what is needed to take it over the edge. The first thing you need to know is that is there is no right or wrong way to wear a statement necklace. It really depends on your personal style and how you express yourself. Anything that is worn with confidence is right in my book!
If you need a jumping off point to get the ideas flowing, here are a few items that look great with a statement necklace!
Tips for wearing a statement necklace:
- Statement necklaces are the focal point of an outfit. The eye is immediately drawn to it. If you want the focus to be your shoes or your skirt, you should go with a more subtle necklace. If you are wearing something that is simple and understated that is a good time to throw on a statement necklace to add a bit of punch.
- Choose a statement necklace that brings your outfit together. I cannot tell you what that is, you will know when you put it on 🙂
- Wear understated earrings if you are going to wear a bold necklace. The phrase “you are doing too much” comes to mind. If you have on a chunky necklace, then a pair of drop earrings are completely unnecessary and quite honestly can be a bit of overkill.
- Wear a solid silver, gold, or black necklace when you are wearing a bold print. The print speaks for itself so you do not need to make a loud statement with a necklace. Even prints need some zest sometimes. so try pairing them with solid colored statement necklaces.
- Statement necklaces with color are a great way to add a pop to a neutral outfit. If you are wearing an outfit that is mostly gray, black, white, or tan try adding a pop of color with a statement necklace!
- Do not be afraid to layer your statement necklaces to go for a dramatic look. (Click here for tutorial on how to do it!)
Here are 12 necklaces under $25!
I have found great pieces at fast fashion stores like H&M, Charlotte Russe, Forever 21, but department stores such as Target, JcPenney, and Kohl’s also offer a good (and reasonably priced) selection.Typically, the best places to shop for statement necklaces that won’t break the bank are stores where everything else is at a low price point to begin with. If the store is trend conscious it will definitely offer a selection of statement necklaces.
**Lex answers reader questions on Tuesdays and Thursdays. All reader submissions are anonymous.